Friday, June 01, 2007

Crab and wine...

Just a quick one before the weekends drinking, I mean tasting, begins.....

Had planned to go for pork last night, boiled pork with special kimchi wrapped in lettuce(Bossam), but the place was full. So we crossed the road and went to the crab place for the first time. We had snow crab, the cheapest option and it was pretty good. The fried rice at the end that they obviously make with all the brains and other head cheese was amazing. Now, I didn't drink wine as I was a little bit scandalised by the price of the food(60,000! For both of us with beer, I am that tight), but I was pleased to see their wine selection.
Following on from the last post they were all white wines. As you would expect with something as delicately flavoured as crab and lobster. It wasn't a great selection admittedly, 1 Vins de Pays d'Oc and 2 Chilean Chardonnays. In red centric Korea it was nice to see though as I can't think of many reds that would go with crab. I wonder what wine the expert from the news article would pair with crab? Thinking about it he would probably be eating lobster. And drinking something from the Côte de Nuits. Git.

Also, my local hoff(pub) has a load of Chateau Mani in. I had a quick look and it is 10% alcohol so I am assuming it is going to be sweet. Still, I will try it out and write it up. It will be my first Korean wine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

opinion please: vinappris.com - what think you? I've just spent half an hour of my life staring at it on Sky, and thought everything seemed shockingly bargainous (that should be a word if its not) til I realised the "normal" price was a bar price, which is a bit cheating. Anyway, I've been sucked in by it all and want to buy everything.
I have nothing to comment on crabs apart from it was too early in the day for me to read the phrase "head cheese". You dirty dirty people

squirrelandgman said...

You have to pay for delivery! Why when you have Majestic with at least 33.3% of all Champagne?
I didn't look for long to be honest. It depresses me looking at large ranges of reasonably priced wine.